Monday 3 October 2011

It's always the same formula, just like learning to ride a bike.

So every day I usually walk the dog around our estate once in the morning and once in the evening.  For the past 2-3 nights, I've spotted this Indian woman in her 50's learning how to ride a bike.  

You could tell she was still learning because it was quite obvious.  For one, she couldn't go 1-2 meters without putting a foot down to catch herself.  Secondly, she had a spotter.  A younger gentleman (her son?) was walking close by her side, helping to catch her if she fell off course.  As I walked the dog along the dimly lit path, I could overhear his whispers of encouragement and advice when we passed by.

"Damn, I'm impressed" I thought to myself. 

Seeing her, I couldn't help but reminisce of when I first learned how to ride a bike.  I think I was 6?  I remember riding with 2 training wheels, gradually reducing it to 1, and then finally riding without any at all.  Man, it seems so long ago.  That was such a fun summer.

The woman doesn't know this, but she inspired me.  I think it takes guts to go out and learn something that society assumes the majority adults already know.

She reminded me that no matter what skill we're after, it's always the same formula just like riding a bike.  It seems difficult at first, but with perseverance and time all will seem effortless.  Any frustration we encounter now is temporary.

Props old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment